Some people believe it is the site of the actual home and courtyard where Peter sat y the fire and denied Jesus. Historians believe, however, that the real home was probably at the more prestigious location on top of the hill where, in keeping with Jewish tradition, the high priest would have a clear view of the Temple.
About the sixth century, a church was erected at this spot, but was destroyed by Muslim invaders in 1010. It was rebuilt by the Crusaders and given the additional name Gallicantu (which means cock-crow in Latin). It was again destroyed about 1320.
The present church was constructed in 1931 by the Assumptionist Fathers.
- Little Black Book, Diocese of Saginaw