At their annual meeting in November 1992, the U.s. Catholic bishops issued their pastoral letter, Stewardship: A Disciple's Response. The letter recognized "the importance of church support, including the sharing of time, talent and treasure."
The pastoral called stewardship "a way of life" for "God's co-worker" who says in faith:
- I am grateful for the gifts I received from God.
- I work toward becoming a good steward of what I have received.
- I share what I have lovingly and justly with others.
- I am accountable to God for that which I have received.
The pastoral only mentions finances twice in the entire 64 page text.
- Little Burgundy Book, Diocese of Saginaw